Child, Early and Forced Marriage
Which organisations or people facilitate the group?
Sushmita Mukherjee and Bahie Mary Rassekh
What is the aim of your group?
Child, early and forced marriage prevents millions of young people–disproportionately women and girls–from fully developing their capacities and living free from violence. Despite global declines in recent decades, it is estimated that 12 million girls under the age of 18 are married each year, or 23 girls every minute, and that 650 million women and girls alive today were married as children.
We aim to create a learning community of people interested in preventing child, early and force marriage. We will share knowledge, exchange experiences and expertise, and learn about effective prevention strategies and interventions.
What have you got planned for the next year or so?
We plan to host monthly webinars featuring practitioners, policymakers, researchers, and individuals who have been affected by child, early and force marriage. We may also create sub-groups to discuss different facets of preventing child, early and force marriage. In addition, we will share events and learning opportunities on this website.
Contact name(s) and email(s):
Sushmita Mukherjee: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Bahie Mary Rassekh: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Sub-group members (name, institution, country):
- Shoumeli Das, UNICEF Maharashtra, India
- Margaret E. Greene, GreeneWorks
- Tarnjeet Kaur Kang, South Sudan
- Rachel Kidman, Department of Family, Population and Preventive Medicine
- Eliane Lakam, Baltimore City Continuum of Care (CoC)
- Carmen Logie, University of Toronto
- Sushmita Mukherjee, Project Concern International, India
- Anne Ngunjiri, LVCT Health, Kenya
- Bahie Mary Rassekh, The World Bank Group
- Chandrika Singh, UNICEF Maharashtra, India
- Early marriages in the city on the rise. (2020, July 13). Switch TV News, Kenya.
- Greene, M. (2014). Ending Child Marriage in a Generation: What Research is Needed? Ford Foundation. https://www.fordfoundation.org/media/1890/endingchildmarriage.pdf
- Hanmer, L., & Elefante, M. (2016). The Role of Identification in Ending Child Marriage:Identification for Development (ID4D). World Bank Group. https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/bitstream/handle/10986/25184/The0role0of0id00Development00ID4D00.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
- Jain, S. & Kurz, K. (2007). New Insights on Preventing Child Marriage: A Global Analysis on Factors and Programs. International Center for Research on Women. http://lastradainternational.org/lsidocs/icrw_child_marriage_0607.pdf
- Kidman, R. (2017). Child marriage and intimate partner violence: a comparative study of 34 countries. International Journal of Epidemiology. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyw225
- Palermo, T., Jones, N., Yates, R., & Maksud, N. (2020, July 30). Social Protection and Child Marriage: Evidence, Practice and Opportunities Webinar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdYruiQyfS0
- Prakash, R., Beattie, T. S., Javalkar, P., Bhattacharjee, P., Ramanaik, S., Thalinja, R., … Isac, S. (2019). The Samata intervention to increase secondary school completion and reduce child marriage among adolescent girls: results from a cluster-randomised control trial in India. Journal of Global Health, 9(1). https://doi.org/10.7189/jogh.09.010430
- Research on Women. (2017). Economic Impacts of Child Marriage: Global Synthesis Report. https://www.icrw.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/EICM-Global-Conference-Edition-June-27-FINAL.pdf
- Sieverding, M., Krafft, C., Berri, N., & Keo, C. (2020). Persistence and Change in Marriage Practices among Syrian Refugees in Jordan. Studies in Family Planning, 51(3), 225–249. https://doi.org/10.1111/sifp.12134
- Walker, J. (n.d.). Why Ending Child Marriage Needs to Be an Education Goal The Case for Improved Coordination between Ending Child Marriage and Girls’ Education Movements in West Africa. Center for Universal Education. https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/walker_girls_education.pdf
- Wright, Y. (2020, July 27). School closures put girls at risk of early marriage. Save the Children International. https://www.savethechildren.net/blog/school-closures-put-girls-risk-early-marriage.